Thursday, November 15, 2007

San Salvador (El Salvador) and Roatan (Honduras)

























Sorry for the delay in posting, have been busy getting reacquainted (if you know what I mean :-)) with Stephane.

We arrived in San Salvador, expecting - I am not sure what - but getting a pleasant surprise. San Salvador is the capital city of El Salvador, and is a very modern city. Prices here are equal to the United States, and the US dollar is their currency. This is an issue since the average wage here is about $200-400/month...yet gas, food, amenities etc are like back home. There is huge disparity....lots of wealthy Salvadorians, and lots of poor. Though in the city here, there are few signs of poverty. Most notable here are the incredibly well maintained roads! Better than anywhere I have been including Europe and North America!

People are friendly, and we have enjoyed our time with my friend Stephanie, who is the Consul here at the Canadian embassy. She lives in the top floor apartment of a nice building where we have enjoyed laying by the pool drinking beer and listening to Stephane read French poetry.

We went on a tour one day and saw several beautiful little villages, and toured a coffee plantation, and saw some really stunning views of lakes and volcanoes. Unfortunately, all the photos are stuck on my memory card and I cannot seem to get them off...ideas??

On a whim, we decided to take a side trip to Honduras, to a Caribbean island called Roatan. If you are looking for a well developed Carri bean island, without the crowds, but with good infrastructure, where the official language is English - defiantly check this out. I spent a day with a Realtor looking at property...pretty good prices still, though that is changing quickly. Prices are increasing by about 50% a year. I just might have to buy something! I found an amazing 2000 sq ft house with an incredible - amazing - view, with a great rental history, infinity pool and amazing views from a very room and deck of stunning blue/green waters, close to the white sandy beaches for just over 400K. Halfers anyone?

Anyway, we stayed at a very quiet place (B & B) on a private island, accessible only by boat, and enjoyed quiet dinners, a lovely time on a deserted beach, lounging in the hot tub overlooking the water, and kayaking over the amazing coral reef. It was very nice and relaxing.

We are now back in San Salvador and tomorrow we will fly to Guatemala City and then take a cab to Antigua - a lovely Colonial town where we have booked a nice B&B. On Sunday Stephane returns home to Montreal to continue caring for my house and dog, and I will meet Joel for 3 more weeks of exploring Central America.

I am not sure how often Joel and I will have email access, so I may not be able to update the blog regularly, but we will try.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

This sounds more like heaven....what a difference from the first two months. Will look forward to the pictures....more beaches, girls, and bikinis....who says I'm old and finished. Pops

Tammy said...

Wow, now that's more like it. I could do this trip for sure. I am interested in going halfers sometime in the future on something -- somewhere. Keep me in mind. We are lookig forward to more pics. Watch the sun eh? You are pretty tanned, and with your skin that could spell trouble. Enjoyed going to the hockey game with you Joel and catching up with you, it was fun. Have a ball. Tammy