Friday, November 9, 2007

Proudest Day






I thought I would post a few pictures of me with my kids at convocation, me with Stephane at convocation, and me with my degree at convocation....lastly, me with far too may wrinkles at convocation.

I must say, next to giving birth and seeing my kids baptized, this moment was on of the proudest of my life. As the bagpipes began to play, and the 500+ graduates entered the hall in procession, I got tears in my eyes.

Below is a portion of the letter I wrote to the university back in 2005, explaining why I wanted to go to school. In order to get accepted into a Master's programme without an undergrad degree, I had to submit academic and professional references, and a portfolio of my work (published articles, briefing papers, manuals etc that I had produced) and a letter, explaining why I thought I should be allowed in to the university...here is a tidbit of that letter:

I believe the next step for me is to learn more. The world I want to change – is changing all by itself – and so rapidly it is hard to keep up. Trade and security issues, world epidemics, global instability, environmental concerns, democratic deficits…there is so much to do!

Pursuing the MA in Professional Communication will provide me with more tools. I have been blessed with a natural talent for communication, intelligence, and a passionate desire to learn. What I need is a better understanding of the effect of technology on communication. I want to better understand value systems of different cultures.

With the advent of computer technology, the ability to influence the world – the whole world – is actually possible. Ethnic, racial, social, and cultural barriers can be broken, and I am motivated to play a part in that.

I look forward to the next step in my life. I will be applying for work with government - anxious to contribute to this small moment in history. Following that - who knows?

Lastly, a special thanks to Kelvin and the boys for always believing in me. As I have moved forward over the years with various causes, they always trusted me, always believed in me, and for that I am grateful.


3 comments:

Bruce said...

Hi Honey;
Yes it was a class act.....I wish we could have been there. We are all proud of you, and we hope the hard work, will pay dividends. Pursue all your dreams, and if they
reap happiness, then it's all been well worth it.. Love you bunches,DAD

Tammy said...

Congrats lil sister! You look amazingly happy, which makes me happy too. Have you heard of a christian, non government org that is dedicated to the sustainable development and emergency response worldwide? They work with whole communities to address integrated needs through education, healthcare, agriculture, sanitation, environmental sustainability and other areas of sustainable development. It attracted my attention because of your trip. A wonderful way for people who are reading your blog who want to know what they can do to help. They have a Christmas catalogue and website where people can choose so many options to help out, like: $25 for medical insurance for a family; $25 for a school garden and livestock training; $50 for school fees; $$65 for a pig for a family; $100 for a goat or latrine construction and also $800 to construct a house for a family. This would be a great one for a group of people to do. As a certified member of the Cdn Council for Christian Charities, they meet stringent standards set by the CCCC for accountability and organizational integrity. There are also incredible opportunites for short term, long term overseas involvement and vision trips that are two weeks. Because of your adventures I am registered with them and am looking forward to making a difference in the world too. Thanks sis for your inspiration and enthusiasm. You will do great things. I would love to accompany you some time in your travels or do a girls trip like one of their vision trips. Can't wait to hear more of your adventures. Tammy

Tammy said...

Forgot to give the name of the org: The Cdn Food for the Hungry International. Check them out on line. Tammy