Thursday, August 16, 2007

Pre Trip Jitters

Well, I guess the trip is official...really happening that is. You know how I know? Because I just got my $12,000 Master Card bill! AND THAT WAS JUST FOR THE AIR FARE AND EURRAIL PASSES. It does not factor in our four months of food and accommodation, the African safari, or the intercultural excursion through Central America.

So, here is my advise to anyone planning an around the world trip:

  • Take more than 1 month to plan it
  • Estimate the cost...then double it
  • Do not undertake to find accommodation in Casablanca when you are PMSing
  • Do not actually try to see the whole world in four months as I am doing...

Here is our itinerary

New York (Leaving Sept 3)
Paris
Rome
Budapest
Venice
Barcelona
Casablanca, Morocco
Accra, Ghana
Nairobi, Kenya
Dubai, UAE
Calcutta, India
Katmand, Nepal
Chennai, India
Bangkok, Thailand
Taipai, Taiwan
Seattle
Victoria (for my convocation on Nov 2!!! Coming to the party???)
Los Angeles
San Salvador, El Salvador
Atitlan Lake, Guatamala
Honduras
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Panama
Miami
Montreal...home for Christmas (arriving Dec 17th)

We have lots more to do before we go...obtaining visas, learning how to pack 4 months worth of clothes in to 1 carry-on bag (eeks)

I will update this blog as often as possible, Joel will be adding his own posts, and I hope to upload lots of photos.

Next post...a few peeks into the motivation and reason for this trip, what we hope to get out of it, and final words of farewell before we head off.

3 comments:

Diane Adolph said...

Hi Corrie, Good luck to you both. We look forward to hearing about all your adventures as they unfold. Also, thanks again for having Katherine, she had a great time. Love Diane

Steph said...

Hey ot Stuff!! .....and Young SkyWalker..

I am not sure how much I can write on here without having your readers be uncomfortable with my goowee, smootchee stuff, but in anycase I will wirte you emails too.

I hope the day went well in the Big Apple, you guys must be beat.

as for me,..after having a verry difficult morning realizing that you wre gone, ..the rest of the day was OK. Floyd is good, he was looking for you i think at one point. We went for two walks, and are going again after i eat (YES!!I KNOW!!! MORE VEGETABLES AND LESS BEER!!)

LY, ISTAYATT. STEPH

leahth said...

hey corrie and joel,
blessings to you as you being this journey. wow, what an endeavour!

Corrie, i totally meant to call you before you left but i was swamped with the show ending and school beginning. yada, yadayada. you are in my thoughts and prayers, my friend.

hey joel. i wouldn't worry so much about the insects as i would the reptiles...

have fun you two. stay safe, be gentle with each other and God go with you on your journey. i look forward to hearing the adventures.
peace, leah